Saturday, February 5, 2011

Getting Keys Made

When I bought the car, it came with no keys. Was able to get the key codes off of the locks and ignition. Normally, the ignition and door locks will have one key code and the trunk and glovebox will have a second. Based on the codes, it appeared that mine followed the standard convension. With that information, I was able to have Fred Groh make replacement keys for me from the codes. Fred was very helpful and his prices are quite reasonable for the service he provides.

When I first received the keys, the ignition key slipped in and tuened easily as did the glovebox key. This told me that the keys were made correctly. The door locks didn't seem to work at first, but after a little wiggling of the key, I got them to turn also. The trunk lock was another story, I tried for two or three minutes and could not get the key to turn. I decided to get some WD40 and spray it in the lock. I sprayed in the key hole, waited a few minutes and tried the key. It turned!. It was still a little stiff so I sprayed WD40 in again and worked the key in and out. Did the same think in the door locks and they work perfectly now.

Bottom line... what could have been a real hassle (rekeying the car) was easy thanks to Fred and I was able to maintain the original locks that came with the car. If you have a similar problem, you can find Fred's conact information on his website.

No comments:

Post a Comment