Sunday, January 16, 2011

Abrasive Blasting Setup

Last weekend I purchased an inexpensive Abrasive Blasting Cabinet from Harbor Freight & Tool. It's normally just $219, but I used one of their 20% off coupons and it was an even better deal. It is not a very large cabinet, but given the limited space in my garage I wouldn't want anything bigger. It has a built-in light and is big enough to fit most of the parts I will be blasting. I have only been using it a couple of days now and have blasted only a few small parts, but so far it is working great. With the desicant type air dryer that I installed, I have not had any problems with clogging.



I presently have it loaded with about 20 lbs of aluminum oxide and it cuts through old paint and rust so well that it almost looks like I am spraying new metal as I pass the gun back and forth across the part. My compressor is on the small side for running a suction type blaster (22 gallon rated at 6.5 CFM @ 90 psi), but it seems to get the job done.

I connect a small shop vac to the cabinet to suck the dusty air out. This helps make it easier to see and also provides a path for the air injected by the gun to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment